Thursday, February 15, 2007

Session Three

I went to my assigned elementary school this past Tuesday and tried some new things with my two students Sam and Sue. Because only Sue was there for my last visit and she worked so well by herself I thought that this time I would break up the two hours I am there, working with Sam for one hour and Sue for the other hour. This worked so much better than having them work together because I was able to concentrate on one of the students at a time and work with them on the things they each individually needed to work on. I believe both the students liked this better as well because they did not feel intimidated by each other.

I worked with Sam first, again with long division, and he had no problems understanding the concept. He worked very well and asked questions when he had them. I feel he is opening up more which is wonderful. Although at times he got some what distracted by the rest of the students for the most part he stayed on task.

Sue was a bit harder to work with because she “hates math.” Therefore, she constantly wanted to talk about other things and I had to repeatedly remind her that we were working on math. She still does not know her multiplication facts so division is a struggle for her. I told she should try to work on some times tables when ever she got a free chance. She said she would but we will have to see next week if she has improved.

Both children are becoming more comfortable with me which is a good thing but at the same time I feel because they are more comfortable they feel they can talk about other things like basketball games instead of school related subjects. I want to talk to the students about outside activities so they stay interested but it does not get much accomplished.

1 comment:

Teacher McGhee said...

I think it is true that students feel a little intimidated when they are with other students, and that is a good idea to seperate them up.

In a group I had a student tell me that he was a very bad reader but when I convinced him to try it still he really wasn't bad at all. I think it takes work to let them open up even a little bit in front of other students.