Thursday, February 22, 2007

Session Four

This session was very similar to last except I only had about 40min with each student, not an hour. This time cut was because of recess, it was our teachers turn to watch the students while outside so we had to cut our sessions short.

During this session the students worked on measurements and used rulers. It was very hard for both students to use a ruler; they both did not understand the different increments a ruler gets split up into. Although by the end of each session the students were doing better they could not complete each measuring task on their own, I had to assist them.

After I worked with both of the students the teacher told me I could go outside with the class for recess if I wanted to. I wanted to see how the children interacted with one another so I took the teacher up in her offer. All the children played together except one, Sam, the male student I tutor. He stayed by the teacher the whole time I was outside and did not interact with the other students. This was interesting to me, why would he not play with his peers when he had the option?

Another thing I noticed while outside was their playground consisted of only one jungle gym and the students were not confined to one area. Some were in the front of the building as well as on the sides of the building with no supervision.

One of the major concepts we discussed in my TE 250 class was school funding. During this session of tutoring was the first time I realized how low the funding in the school I was at must be. As soon as I walked into the building I noticed down the main hall there were buckets. These buckets were collecting the constant drips of water that was coming form the ceiling. This tells me the funding for this school must not be very high if they can not even fix a leaking ceiling.

4 comments:

Lindsay said...

That is sad that the school cannot afford to fix a leaking ceiling. I can't even imagine going to a school that has problems like that. Also, that is so unsafe to have students outside with no supervision. I think that this school needs to have more teachers outside at recess or think of some way to keep all the kids together.

SnortMaster 5000 said...

It's really surprising that the teachers at the school have not made it a rule for recess to be confined to one area where they can monitor everyone at once. On the school funding idea, the fact that the school doesn't have noon-aids says something about their financial situation I think. I wonder if they were given a choice to fix the ceiling or get noon-aids which it would be. Both involve student safety, but I wonder which one would win out in a case like this.

Kristen2046 said...

Wow, so they actually had buckets. I am surprised you didn't suddenly hear a somber, sad violin playing in the background at that moment, geez.
Maybe ask the teachers how they do get their funding? That would be an interesting thing to find out the details of.

Red said...

I agree with Kate, though I wonder if maybe it is more a question of enforcement. There probably is a rule about the kids being in one area so the teacher can keep an eye on them. But perhaps few if any of the teachers enforce it.

As to Sam, it may just be that he feels more comfortable talking with the teacher than with his peers, or he really enjoys his alone time. Sam may need some time to himself after spending all day in the classroom with all the students, always having to pay attention and be quiet. I can't tell for sure, but I thought that this might be a possible explanation.

Red